2.4 C
New York
Saturday, February 21, 2026
Home Blog Page 959

Michigan scandal sparks player injury concerns, athletic directors tell to Big Ten must ‘step up’: report

0

Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti hosted a conference call with athletic directors from across the conference on Thursday to discuss Michigan football’s alleged sign-stealing operation, according to a report from ESPN.

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel reportedly did not participate in the video. Sources told ESPN that the various athletic department leaders voiced their support for the conference taking action in regard to the sign-stealing scandal.

Earlier this week, Petitti is believed to have held a meeting with coaches. Petitti is also believed to have informed Thursday’s meeting attendees that he would wait on the discovery of more facts before any decision is made.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Michigan Wolverines helmet on the sideline during the Spring Game at Michigan Stadium. (Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports)

Additionally, Petitti is believed to have met with the NCAA to discuss the alleged operation. However, it remains unclear whether college football’s governing body will share information with Petitti and the Big Ten as it becomes available during its investigation.

Petitti also expressed his desire to discuss the issue with presidents of schools from across the Big Ten, per ESPN. He also appears to want to learn more from Michigan officials and possibly have further discussion with the NCAA.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ODDS FOLLOWING FIRST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF RANKING

“The athletic directors had a clear message — we believe the conference needs to step up,” a source familiar with the context of the call told ESPN.

The Big Ten logo at media days

The B1G Logo on display on the microphone stand during the Big Ten Conference Media Days on July 27, 2023. (Jeffrey Brown/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Some have raised questions about whether the Big Ten can launch its own investigation into Michigan’s potential violations of the conference’s sportsmanship policy. According to the report, Michigan State athletic director Alan Haller expressed concern over the Spartans being put in a situation where they felt they need to made significant adjustments to their signals just days before playing the Wolverines.

The Spartans athletic director is also believed to have brought about worry about players potentially suffering injuries if Michigan players knew the play call. In theory, Michigan players would be tipped off on where a player from the opposing team is going on a particular play.

Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti speaks during media day

Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti speaks at Big Ten football media day at Lucas Oil Stadium on July 26, 2023 in Indianapolis. (Michael Hickey/Getty Images)

The school administrators also reportedly shared their willingness to help Petitti work through the issue.

“The athletic directors provided more guidance for a path forward,” said another source with knowledge of the call told ESPN. “The coaches spoke from a point of high emotion.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The Wolverines are currently 9-0 and are the third-ranked team in the College Football Playoff Rankings. Michigan was on a bye week this past weekend, but they return to action this Saturday for a matchup with Purdue.

According to a Yahoo Sports report, Michigan is being accused of sending people to games of teams they are scheduled to play to gather information on signs used to call plays on offense and defense. Michigan football staffer Connor Stalions, who is believed to be at the center of the investigation, was suspended with pay late last month.

Hezbollah claims to strike Israeli army with two suicide drones: report

0

Hezbollah claimed on Thursday to have struck an Israeli army post with two suicide drones in what would be the first attack of its kind during the Israel-Hamas war, a report says. 

The Lebanese militant group said in a statement that the drones laden with explosives “precisely” hit their targets in the Chebaa Farms area of the disputed Golan Heights territory, according to The Associated Press. 

The claims come ahead of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah’s first public remarks Friday since the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel.

Later, the Palestinian militant group Hamas said it fired 12 rockets from Lebanon toward the northern Israeli town of Kiryat Shmona. 

The Qassam Brigades said in a statement that Thursday’s rocket attack came in retaliation for the “occupation’s massacres against our people in Gaza,” the AP reported. 

LIVE UPDATES: ISRAEL AT WAR WITH HAMAS 

An Israeli army battle tank moves at a position in the upper Galilee region of northern Israel near the border with Lebanon on Wednesday, Nov. 1. (Jalaa Marey/AFP via Getty Images)

Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson Daniel Hagari posted that “In the last hour, a number of launches from Lebanese territory towards Israeli territory were detected. 

“The IDF is currently attacking a series of targets of the terrorist organization Hezbollah in Lebanese territory,” he added. 

The apparent escalation from Hezbollah comes about 24 hours in advance of a planned speech Friday by its leader, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah. 

MASSACHUSETTS FAMILY AMONG 400 CLEARED TO LEAVE GAZA, LAWYER SAYS 

smoke rising from fighting

Smoke rises from an Israeli army position which was attacked by Hezbollah fighters near Alma al-Shaab, a Lebanese border village with Israel in southern Lebanon, on Oct. 15. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Nasrallah will make his first public comments since the onset of the Israel-Hamas war, according to Reuters. 

As of Thursday, as many as 9,900 people have been killed in the war on both sides, including at least 1,400 Israeli civilians and soldiers and 35 Americans.  

The Hamas-run Gaza health ministry claims 8,525 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza and 111 in the West Bank.  

Protest in Lebanon over Israel-Hamas war

Riot police use tear gas against protesters during a demonstration in solidarity with the Palestinian people in Gaza, near the U.S. embassy in Awkar, a northern suburb of Beirut on Oct. 18. (AP/Hassan Ammar)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP 

And at least 10 Americans are feared to be among the 242 people held captive by Hamas. 

Fox News’ Chris Pandolfo and The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Musk likens AI to ‘magic genie,’ says no jobs needed in future

0



bb037479 0878 451b b9ae 3033b7d599dd

The United Kingdom’s global summit on artificial intelligence safety, the AI Safety Summit, concluded on Nov. 2 with a one-on-one chat between U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and billionaire Elon Musk. 

Musk was one of the many big names to attend the summit, including heads of OpenAI, Meta, Google and its AI division DeepMind, along with leaders from 27 countries. Musk’s nearly hour-long chat with Sunak was one of the main events of the second day.

Their conversation touched on everything from AI risks to China and opened with Elon Musk likening the emerging technology to a “magic genie.”

“It is somewhat of the magic genie problem, where if you have a magic genie that can grant all the wishes, usually those stories don’t end well. Be careful what you wish for.”

Both mentioned these intelligent bots needing a physical “off-switch” and drew parallels to science-fiction movies like The Terminator. “All these movies with the same plot fundamentally all end with the person turning it off,” Sunak said.

Musk commented: 

“It’s both good and bad. One of the challenges in the future will be, how do we find meaning in life if you have a magic genie that can do everything you want?”

This was brought up after governments and AI companies came to an agreement to put new models through official testing before their public release, which Sunak called a “landmark agreement.”

Related: NIST establishes AI Safety Institute Consortium in response to Biden executive order

When asked about AI’s impact on the labor market, Musk called it the most “disruptive force in history” and said the technology will be smarter than the smartest human. 

“There will come a point where no job is needed. You can have a job if you want to have a job for personal satisfaction, but the AI will be able to do everything.”

“I don’t know if that makes people comfortable or uncomfortable,” Musk concluded.

In addition, Musk commented on China’s inclusion in the summit, saying their presence was “essential.” “If they’re not participants, it’s pointless,” he said. 

“If the United States and the UK and China are aligned on safety, then that’s going to be a good thing, because that’s where the leadership is generally.”

Over the last year, the U.S. and China have gone head-to-head in the race to develop and deploy the most advanced AI systems.

When Sunak asked Musk what he believes governments should be doing to mitigate risk, Musk responded:

“I generally think that it is good for the government to play a role when public safety is at risk; for the vast majority of software, public safety is not at risk. But when we talk about digital super intelligence, which does pose a risk to the public, then there is a role for the government to play to safeguard the public.”

He said while there are people in “Silicon Valley” who believe it will crush innovation and slow it down, Musk assured that regulations will “be annoying” but having what he called a “referee” will be a good thing. 

“Government to be a referee to make sure there is sportsmanlike conduct and public safety are addressed because at times I think there is too much optimism about technology.”

Since the rapid emergence of AI into the mainstream, governments worldwide have been rushing to find suitable solutions for regulating the technology. 

Magazine: ‘AI has killed the industry’: EasyTranslate boss on adapting to change